The journey to and through Aotearoa - down south

23rd June 6:42, land in #Dunedin, bags out in say 10 minutes. I had booked a car, but i hadn't paid for it, so i was scouting the place looking for a better deal. Got a quote from 2 others that weren't any better than my original quote. One of the ladies that had helped me mentioned that the lady at #BudgetCarRental was a Saffa, not sure why i was so chuffed, but i was. So i stepped to her and said "Goeie aand mevrou" (good evening ma'am) with mouth wide open she says whaaat, where are you from, lovely what are you doing here, she asks. we have a fat rap, Meryl was her name. At the end of our tete-a-tete, she was offering me friends and family discounts and a GPS system, good start to this trip ey?

It was raining, it was dark so cautiously, with the help of my newly 'acquired' GPS, I made my way to my hotel. Parking was a bit of a hack, but i got there in the end. Pretty styling i tell ya. Hopped onto the internet to do some research as to where to go from Dunedin, so many options. #MilfordSound #Queenstown #Wanaka #FoxGlacier #FranzJosef, I was confused, a confusion headache started to develop, ok not really but i realized that maybe it's cos I'm hungry I'm not thinking straight so i shut down the #Macbook. Put on my skoene, jacket and beanie and braved the streets. It was nippy but NOWERE as cold as i had expected, but i thank everyone who made me think i was going into Siberia. I found a place to have a wee feed (how's my Kiwi speak?) then i proceeded to go bar window shopping. Eureka i found one, the #Craic, it had a band, a fair amount of people and a TV showing rugby league so I wont look like a loser on my own. Perfect place to have just one before heading back to research some more. The unscrypted life i tell you

Head up, chest out  i waltz into the bar straight to the bar, pint of export please i ask, bartender obliges. I take my glass scout around for a space opposite the telly where i could perch. Bingo, a little out the way, but still part of the action, that will be my home for the next 45 minutes or so. I get comfy, whip out my phone, my fingers had not even started typing the first character of my password and i heard, hey do you mind if I join you, i'm like sweet as. She was like are you waiting for a #Tinder date, waaahaaa, I'm just rolling solo, just landed a few hours ago. We have a ripper conversation, nice lass she asked where I'm from i told her, she tells her mates sitting at the table nearby, dont you just love his accent ey? Im like careful now sister....EASY :) We have a ripper random conversation and then they decide it's home time, they had been out for a little bit and they would definitely have passed a breathalyzer test. Anne says to me: "i think you should come with me." I'm like Haaibo, it can't be??!! where the cameras at?

If looks could speak i think those expressions on her friends' faces would have been something like nah this bra must be gay. You sit on your fat ass, pretty decent lass steps to you, throws out conversation, propositions you and you are like thanks but no thanks, This Nig...i mean dude, this brother must think he has arrived... So with the words "why don't you go your way, and i'll go mine" from #Usher's song Separated ringing in my head i finished my drink and headed to my room... ALONE...

Ok cool now where to? I realized i didn't really want to spend much time in Dunedin so which way to go. One thing Anne had told me during our conversation was that I must head to #Wanaka, but some of the sites i read also told me that there is a trip that heads up the coast that may also be worth a look so i decided to combine them. Up along the east coast and the inland after Oamaru. Oamaru is the birthplace of one Sir #RichieMcCaw. I stopped to have a look at this town. I went to visit Happy Feet and his family at the Blue Penguin Colony, but they had a sign up that they were out for the day and only returning just before dusk, i couldn't wait for em...next time. Wandered the streets a little and headed on my way. I passed a town called #Kurow with a population of circa 300. It's a good thing i didn't blink because I would have missed this Idutywa-type town. Kurow is the dorpie that Richie spent his formative years before heading to boarding school in Dunedin. Whilst driving, I thought how remarkable an achievement, once again showing the power of the human spirit.

The drive to Wanaka was breathtaking, winding roads, green pastures, snow capped mountains, dams, rivers, lakes, that made me so jealous on behalf of my city, Cape Town, how we'd dearly love some of that? Oh and sheep, i found the sheep. It's like they decided to migrate down south to put their wool to good use, cos sheet it's a few clicks cooler down south. I stopped along the road to see a mountain with Maori drawings, a bit of a disappointment because it seemed as if the drawings had faded, if not then they were pretty random :).

After a leisurely 4 and a half our drive, I arrived in Wanaka, what a beautiful town ey?! Now to find a place to stay, enter #Google. I got a few names, tried them, wasn't really feeling them, but then i thought there must be a better way to spend my time than looking for 'room at the inn'. So i decided next place if the price is right I'm in. And was it ever, styling apartment at #clearbrook lodge with #Sky tv (DSTV to us), little stream flowing beside it, mountain and lake views, score! Did some laundry (yoh but the soap she gave me, problem, the granules are still all over my clothes, need to rewash) relaxed a little and headed down to find a bar to watch the #AllBlacks v Lions test with the locals.

I found a bar called #LakeBar, went to the bar and saw a dude sitting on his own, struck up a conversation and it turned out he was from Australia and also traveling solo, spoke some shit watched the game. I am not sure what I expected, but watching the game with New Zealanders was pretty much a damp squib. There were no gesticulation towards the ref for any calls, just the "YAAAAY" when the ABs do something well and "AHHHH" when they don't. Maybe it was a function of being in a small town...

I realized tiredness had set in like the cold from the mountains so I came home and turned in at around midnight. On Sunday the 25th I woke up, tried to figure out where to next, up the west coast or back inland towards Christchurch?
I wanted to leave Christchurch for Wellington on Wednesday so I settled on inland, with stops at #MountCook perhaps #LakePukaki and then stop somewhere like Lake Tekapo for the night. So i got up, packed and got ready to leave. Then i realized it is Sunday, even Jesus rested. It was such a beautiful day out here in Wanaka on Sunday, cold as, but bright. So i asked the lady at reception if i could stay an extra night and she said sure, so i paid for the room and decided to just chill the fuck out. Watching telly, typing this blog and reading my blog. Nice not to have a plan.

That feeling didn't last too long, i hopped onto #Facebook, like i do, a little too regularly i might add. The brother called Choppa was online, he used to live in Christchurch so I asked him if he was around, on the off chance he was out here from France, but unfortunately he was in the states, but he said bro you have to go and see #Queenstown. I checked the place was like 70 odd km's away, i had unlimited mileage on the rental it was 11am, why not head out for lunch and a walk about. How glad was i that i did. I actually had #FOMO, i was thinking i should have actually stayed here for a night. The town was bustling. They had something that reminded me of #Neighborgoods or the #BiscuitMill going on. Food stalls, DJ spinning tracks, people roaming the streets it was pure bliss. I wandered around the bustling little town for a few hrs before making tracks back 'home'.

New Zealand sure does have some styling little places. Before arriving at Queenstown, i saw a sign that said #Arrowtown and someone had mentioned to me that it was a must see. It is a much smaller town, but it had a #Franshoek sort of feel to it. Bellissimo!

I was 10 days into my trip done a fair bit of the North Island and wading my way into the South Island, most pleasant it has been so far. No this place is nice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixty by 50

Accra - Mbabane - Mthatha - now first year at UCT

Accra - Mbabane - Mthatha....now first year UCT - Part 2